Friday, April 29, 2005

Tribute

Ever felt so boh mood to do anything, and when you are pondering about what do to, blogging just temptingly comes to your mind? Well, it's 8.45am now and I haven't slept yet. I just came back form a jog and I ate breakfast, which I rarely do during holidays. And I am still boh mood to sleep and in my mind, blogging is THE thing to do, the desire even overpowers that of anime or DotA. Hmmn...desire alone aint enough, I need a topic, dammit!

Ok, today I am going to talk about the dialect I dearly miss, Hokkien. Hokkien wa is a tongue I most commonly use, when I am at home or when hanging out with friends. As a matter of fact, most of the people I am close to know this wonderful dialect. Without a doubt, Hokkien is part of my life and without it, I feel incomplete and handicapped, like now. I have to admit I did not exactly realize that it encompasses such a huge part of mylife until I am in this land where the dialect is almost unheard of. When speaking other languages, the very essence of speech is gone, and whatever spoken seems to lack something, like sincerity or credulity. And don't get me started about people who try so so so hard to imitate the native speakers here. One word - travesty. NowI feel the urge to use Hokkien even to a couple of my friends here, whom I would normally 'speaking' to. Hehehe, I am so desperate lah.

Now, with the emergance of Hokkien Blog and after reading TV Smith's The Hokkiens, I miss Hokkien wa even more. I am not TV's fan, but that article sort of hit me right at the cord. Ahh, nostalgia.

I recall an occasion during the meeting with Pak Lah in Sydey. While I was having the gastronomical pleasure over the deserts, I met three Penangites and we started talking in Hokkien immediately after we found out all of us could speak in Hokkien! Ahh, the comfort that I hadn't felt for so long. So we reached a state which I would like to call, speech zen, where I could just talk so so naturally without stopping.

On another ocassion, a friend from China told me I look like the people from Fujian. I was about to tell her I was not related to anyone from that part of China when it struck me that Hokkien Langs actually come from Fujian. Hmmn, now only I know that Hokkiens do have some similarites in their looks. But I am happy to know lah, that they are all good-looking like me. Yay!! Hokkien rules!!

No comments: